Through our skills-based PE curriculum at Staincliffe C of E Junior School, children develop their knowledge, skills and understanding across a broad range of physical activities, whilst further enhancing the values of courage and respect through their active participation.
Our PE curriculum equips every child with the physical literacy, emotional and thinking skills to achieve in PE, Sport and life, focusing on the development of agility, balance and coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning through a unique approach to teaching and learning in PE.
Children will focus on improving their fundamental skills and gradually build upon these throughout their time at Staincliffe, developing their ability to apply them to a range of different sports and activities.
To ensure high standards of teaching and learning in PE, we implement a curriculum that is progressive throughout the whole school. PE is taught every week, focusing on skills and knowledge stated in the National Curriculum and in areas specific to the need of our children. Our skills-focused PE curriculum is delivered through a child-centred approach that develops the key abilities children need to be successful within PE and Sport and across the curriculum. Children will be given opportunities to build upon prior PE knowledge, experience a wide range of different sports, learn and develop new skills (including learning when and how to implement these) and the chance to take part in inter/intra school competitions and extra-curricular activities and clubs.
Through the use of our Real PE scheme, our curriculum:
- Provides ALL children with the opportunity to develop the physical literacy, emotional and thinking skills to achieve in PE, sport and life through development of skills in the following 6 key areas:
- Applying Physical
- Health & Fitness
- Places the learner at the heart of practice
- Applies high quality learning and teaching skills
To track the progress of our athletes, we:
- Use regular assessment within lessons and at the end of units of work using the Real PE FUNS tools
- ‘Challenge Questions’ for pupils to apply learning in a philosophical / open manner
- Capture ‘Pupil Voice’ at regular intervals
By the time they leave us, as athletes, our children will:
- Lead a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Demonstrate positive mental health and wellbeing.
- Begin a lifelong love of physical activity and its importance in day-to-day life.
Our PE curriculum is high quality, well thought out and planned to demonstrate progression. If children are keeping up with our curriculum, they are deemed to be making good or better progress and support is put in place for those working towards the curriculum objectives.