Staincliffe CE Junior School

Respect, Trust, Courage and Joy



Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND)


All BBEST Partnership schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority, Kirklees, to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

At Staincliffe we believe that children with disabilities should have equal access to  opportunities and education so that they can be protected against discrimination, abuse and neglect set out in The Equality Act 2010. We provide this by working with specialist agencies for individual children and making reasonable adjustments to their learning styles in an inclusive manner. We follow the guidelines to provide the same opportunities for pupils with SEND as with all other children. By involving the pupil and families in these decisions, we follow the Special  Educational and Disability Regulations 2014 to meet the appropriate adjustments in all children's learning.


At Staincliffe we have provided  an inclusive education for children with various specialist needs, such as:

Moderate and delayed learning difficulties

Speech and language needs

EAL children/Children who are new to the country

Hearing and Visually impaired 

Physically and mobility impaired

Mental Health and behavioural difficulties

ASC and sensory needs

Looked after children


For further information about the Kirklees local offer please click here

Click here to read our school SEND policy 

Click here to read our Accessibility policy and plan







What we offer at Staincliffe CE Junior School 

How will you support my child or young person with SEND?

Identifying and adapting teaching to meet pupil’s needs is a process that is in place for all pupils.

By working together to meet the needs of the child, using smart targets and appropriate interventions. For pupils with extra special educational needs we use the graduated approach (assess-plan-do-review). This is a 4 part cycle, shown below: 


  • Each pupil’s education programme (My support Plan) will be planned by their class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class. This will be assessed regularly by the SENCO.

  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to find out if it has been effective and to inform future planning for your child.

  • These interventions will be monitored by the Senco and SLT termly and assessed for the progress of the pupil and if this provision is still appropriate for them.

  • Pupils with SEND will be monitored through various assessments which are appropriate for them individually. All will be monitored through reading and comprehension ages, throughout the school year.

  • Progress for some children will be slower, for these children individual portfolios, my support Plan targets and using The Engagement Model for children who are working significantly below their Key Stage.

  • If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.

  • The whole process of monitoring, assessing, planning and providing support will continue to see if the child makes progress. 


  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Headteacher and the Deputy Headteacher to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned which will be discussed.

  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Speech and Language Therapy Team, Paediatrician etc. Referral forms (SPR) are then completed in conjunction with parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

  • The Advisory Board for Staincliffe CE (C) Junior School are responsible for entrusting a named person, Mr Dixon to monitor Safeguarding and Child protection procedures. He is also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and barring service procedures and the school’s Single Central Record. In a support and challenge role the Advisory Board ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the DfE.

  • Children who are SEND and are Looked After children (LAC) have individual PEP plans, which are written and reviewed termly, with the virtual school. All other SEND needs are addressed as the other pupils on role.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • Teaching Assistants may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
  • A my support plan may be created to support the pupil with meeting smart targets to enable them to access the curriculum in smaller steps.
  • Through termly assessment and pupil progress meetings, pupils who are not progressing can be identified. The Senco will carry out regular observations of children, who have SEN or who are working below national expectations.
  • The SENCO will talk to parents and ensure there is a shared understanding of the pupils needs. The process of monitoring/assessment, planning and providing support will continue.
  • If the pupils needs persist, the SENCO will meet with parents to discuss further referrals, possibly for an assessment Educational Health care Plan.
  • An EHCP (Educational Healthcare Plan) needs assessment involves a process of gathering information from the relevant people, including the views, interests and aspirations of the parents and child.
  • An EHCP needs assessment will help the council to take into account whether the special educational needs of the child can be reasonably be met from resources normally available in schools or extra provision and funding needs to be provided through an EHCP Educational Healthcare Plan.



How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents Evenings.
  • Annual Review meetings for EHCP children and My Support Plan reviews.
  • Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCo by visiting the school office.
  • The class teacher may suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning through messages, at parents’ evenings or if you are requested to attend a meeting.
  • Mrs Tankard, the SENCo may meet with you to discuss how to support your child. The class teacher or a member of the Pastoral Team may meet with you discuss strategies to use if there are problems with a child’s behavioural /emotional needs.
  • Ideas can be exchanged with other parents at forums
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.
  • A school nurse can be reached at school one morning per week: which can be arranged through the school office.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties.

These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, teaching assistants, SENCO, Learning Mentors are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate mediation sessions are carried out.
  • Restorative practice and reflection is used across school.
  • A social skills group is run by Teaching Assistants.
  • Specific Interventions such as Drawing and Talking and Therapeutic story writing groups.
  • Chill and Chat breakfast club.
  • Bereavement sessions.
  • Pupils who find lunchtimes a struggle are able to join the lunchtime clubs run by an experienced teaching assistant. Fun games and activities are made available to help provide the pupils with social skills to enable them to form friendships. However, for poor behaviour during break or lunchtimes children will be withdrawn from these times and spend that time in the ‘Chill and Chat’ to reflect on their choices.


Pupils with medical needs

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Health Care Plan is compiled in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • All staff will receive basic First Aid training in addition to those that are already fully trained.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medication agreement in line with the medication policy is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • Epi pen and Asthma training is regularly undertaken by all staff.


At Staincliffe CE (C) Junior School we follow guidance from Education of Pupils at School with Medical Conditions and the Administration of Medicines - April 2023.

Please see our policy for further information.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. Examples of these are listed below:

  • Child Protection Advisors
  • Educational Psychologist
  • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • AAP (Attendance Advisory Practitioner previously known as Educational Welfare Officers)
  • PASS (Physical & Sensory Service) to support pupils with hearing/visual Impairment
  • Inclusion Team
  • Social Services
  • Children’s Therapy Team (Speech & Language/Occupational Therapy)
  • Paediatricians
  • Learning Support Service
  • Behaviour Support Service
  • ASC and Sensory team


An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. He/she would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.

This involvement is generally planned at the parent consultation meeting. The aim of this meeting is to gain an understanding of and try to resolve a pupil’s difficulties.

In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed.

He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.


What staff training is in place to support children with SEND?

All Teaching Assistants and learning mentors are trained in various intervention strategies appropriate to aid current children’s extra needs.


How will my child or young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

 Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required an extra adult will go on the visit.


How accessible is your environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Facilities we have at present include:

  • Ramp leading to the main reception and dining room
  • Yellow highlighted areas of danger for VI children in school and the playground


How will you prepare and support my child to join the school and how will you support them to move on to the next stage of education?

Staincliffe CE (C) Junior School understands what a stressful time moving schools can be therefore many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

  • Meetings between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • Mrs Tankard, where appropriate, attends the infant feeder schools.
  • Year 2 pupils attend a Transition Day where they spend the day with their new class teacher.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Mrs Tankard is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Year 6 vulnerable pupils often visit their new school before transition day. This is arranged between both schools.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Mrs Tankard meets the SENCo from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting is arranged with Mrs Tankard, the secondary school SENCo, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.



How are your resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.
  • If any concerns are raised on completion of the assessments Mrs Bennett will investigate further support or advice from outside agencies if required.
  • Individual Pupil Premium payments are used to support that pupil’s learning.



How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

  • When the children join the school support is allocated on the information provided by the feeder school. Usually, in consultation with SLT, their Year Group Leader and the SENCO will allocate teaching assistants to individuals or small groups to support in class or in other focus groups tailored to the pupils’ needs.
  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.



How are parents involved in your school?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher.
  • During parents evenings.
  • A Parent’s Forum
  • During discussions with Mrs Tankard or other professionals.

We have an open door policy.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you have concerns then contact your child’s teacher or Mrs Tankard, the SENCO through the school office.



Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please follow the school’s Complaints policy.


You can contact KIAS (Kirklees Information Advice and Support Service) on 0300 330 1504 (local rate).

 We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.